Ryeland Surgery - Patient Advisor Apprentice
Brief overview of the role:
The Patient Advisor is responsible for welcoming patients and visitors to the surgery offering guidance, advice, and Care Navigation in line with the Standard operating procedure (SoP). The Patient advisor will also process outgoing communication to patients, book transport/ambulances, undertake ID checks and take payments for private services.
The following are the core responsibilities of the Patient Advisor. On occasions there may be a requirement to carry out other tasks which are listed below under Secondary responsibilities. This will be dependent on factors such as workload and staffing levels:
- To meet and greet patients and visitors to the practice and deal with face to face requests for appointments and follow up appointments.
- To effectively signpost patients to the appropriate healthcare professional or service in line with the Care Navigation SoP
- To process all outgoing calls and texts to patients.
- To book patient transport and arrange ambulances for emergency admissions
- Check ID for new patient registrations or Patients requesting or collecting documentation from the surgery.
- Take payment for private services and provide appropriate receipt to confirm payment.
- Initiate contact with and respond to requests from patients, team members and external agencies by phone, email and text
- Manage all queries as necessary in an efficient manner
- Maintain a clean, tidy, effective working area at all times
- Support all clinical staff with general tasks as requested (appropriate to role)
- Undertake all mandatory training and induction programmes
- Attend a formal appraisal on an annual basis and participate in interim reviews to ensure objectives are achieved and relevant training is undertaken
- Contribute to public health campaigns (e.g. flu clinics) through advice or direct care
In addition to the primary responsibilities, the Patient Advisor may be requested to:
- Participate in practice audit as directed by the audit lead
- Support Care Navigation staff, providing cover during staff absences
- Action incoming emails, tasks, texts when necessary
- Complete opening and closing procedures in accordance with the duty rota