Apprentice Departmental Clerk
Brief Summary of Vacancy:
To provide a supportive clerical service to the Pre-Op Assessment Department. To support the flow of notes between Pre-Op Assessment and the Daycase Department, ensuring notes are well prepared and are available for appointments and planned operations.
- Provide a supportive clerical service to the secretarial team, undertaking work-related correspondence, photocopying, filing, retrieval of documents and patient case notes, according to the requirements of the service, recording the movement of notes on the Electronic Patient Record System (EPR).
- To answer the telephone in a courteous, professional and pleasant manner, ensuring that messages are relayed and actioned in an appropriate and timely fashion.
- To ensure effective communication with colleagues and other health care staff.
- To ensure notes are received in the department the day before all clinic appointments in Pre-Op Assessment, and that the notes are appropriately prepared for clinics.
- To deal professionally with enquiries from colleagues and other health care staff.
- Update and maintain patient tracking records in accordance with the Health Records Management Policy.
- To develop the ability to use the required electronic systems for correspondence, recording, retrieval and maintenance of information, as and when required including APEX for pathology results, MAXIMS system for patient correspondence and patient information, and Radiology systems for X-Ray’s.
- To be able to add patient data to a database accurately.
- Maintain efficient office systems associated with good office management assisting with the monitoring of standards and with the implementation of action plans to improve quality of services.
- Organising and maintaining the departments’ notes filing systems.
- Opening internal notes post, distributing as appropriate and booking through MAXIMS.
- To use own initiative and manage own work load, liaising with the medical secretaries regarding priority.
- Taking hospital notes to the wards or other staff as required.
- Making sure the notes are complete and that correspondence and investigation results are filed correctly before the notes are returned to Health Records.
- Photocopying and laminating on request.
- To cover Pre-Op Assessment Reception as and when requires, ensuring patients have been arrived on MAXIMS, and patients have completed Pre-Op referral forms.
- To book Pre-Op Assessment appointments under the guidance of the Assistant Medical Secretaries.
- To maintain up to date skills as required to provide an efficient service.
- Attendance at all Health and Safety Courses e.g. Manual handling, fire procedures etc.
- Minimise hazards in the working area and report any identifiable hazards to the line manager.
- Maintain personal portfolio and attend annual staff performance and development review (SPDR) annually with Team Leader.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties, but merely to highlight the current main responsibilities of the post. The Trust reserves the right to change terms from time to time. Along with your main duties; you will also be expected to carry out any other duties that are reasonably asked of you. It may be reviewed from time to time in agreement with the post holder and line manager of the Service Unit. The post holder will be required to comply with all policies and procedures issued by and on behalf of Wye Valley NHS Trust.